A Great Place to be
Established in 1957, this historic South Coast landmark is nestled in the tranquil sub-tropical edge of the Ramsgate Lagoon. Once you’ve tasted our unique waffles, finish your visit with a leisurely walk across the quaint wooden bridge to the beautiful Ramsgate beach for a swim or a laze on the sand.
We operate on a first-come-first-served basis. During busy seasons it may be necessary to queue for a short while however we do make very effort to seat you as quickly as possible and we will do everything possible to ensure your wait is well worth it.
Monday to Sunday: 08:00 to 17:00
Closed: Christmas Day
WHERE IT ALL BEGAN…
Dating back to 1957, the birth of the Waffle House in Ramsgate, South Africa, heralded the beginning of an exciting journey for John and Doreen Gaze. Opening the restaurant of their dreams, known at that time as the Tea House of the Blue Lagoon, they had no idea it would become the famous South Coast landmark that it is today.
After a 15 year period during which John and Doreen leased out the premises, they took it back in 1991 and renamed it The Waffle House. This was in line with the two Waffle House restaurants their eldest son had opened in the UK. The first was in Norwich, Norfolk opened in 1978, and the second was in St. Albans, Hertfordshire.
Today, the Waffle House is one of the busiest restaurants on the South Coast, specialising in good food and good service. This 220 seater restaurant is popular amongst locals and visitors alike. Holiday seasons are particularly busy however we consistently rise to the challenge of producing and serving quality products throughout the year
LOTS TO SEE & DO...
The Waffle House nestles in a unique natural environment on the banks of the iBilanhlolo River, with breathtaking views of the Indian Ocean. Perfect for lovers of nature, you can see:
- Bird life at play amongst the trees and reeds, including wagtails, red bishops, kingfishers, woolly-neck storks, Egyptian geese.
- Water life including mullet, bream, frogs and crabs
- Animals including monkeys, otters, fruit bats and leguuans
Or you can take a leisurely walk across the famous wooden bridge, through Tanglewood reserve and onto the beautiful Ramsgate Beach or sit next to the small bamboo forest at the river’s edge.
- Enjoy the beautiful views from comfortable indoor and outdoor seating areas.
- From the wooden deck you can enjoy a view of the Indian Ocean as well as Ramsgate lagoon view
- Or sit on the veranda alongside the lagoon, watch the many fish and listen to the local birds in song.
- Parking is available adjacent to the Waffle House as well as across the road.
- Or you can park at Ramsgate beach and amble over the famous wooden bridge
- A disabled drop off zone is available in front of the restaurant
- Access is available at the main entrance as well as at the veranda entrance
- We are very happy to announce that the Waffle House is now a Wi-Fi hot spot with FREE Wi-Fi available to our customers.
- At the Waffle House we love pets, however due to health and hygiene regulations please leave your pets comfortable in the safety of your home when you visit us.
- Visit the adjoining Gaze Gallery and Basket Shop to view works of renowned South African artists, potters and crafters. Then choose a unique gift from an interesting selection.